You always want only the best for your child’s health. Thus, it becomes important to follow proper immunisation so that they remain protected from certain harmful diseases. Immunisation also reduces the spread of certain harmful diseases in the local community, and hence childhood immunisation was implemented.
The process of immunization can cause pain or hurt to your child, which in turn can be a cause of stress for you. Children or babies are very sensitive to negative vibes, so it is advisable that you stay relaxed at the time of immunizing your child. After all, it is just temporary pain which your child will go through.
Here are some tips to make the process easier: -
- Carry your child's favourite toy along when you take him/her to get immunised. To divert his/her attention, you can carry your child's favourite snack and feed it to them immediately after the injection is given.
- Hold your child still when the injection is being given. You may want your partner to accompany you as it may be easier to handle the situation.
- Post the vaccination, do not plan to do much because it might not be too comfortable for your child. It is better to go home and let your child rest after the not-too-pleasant experience of getting vaccinated.
- In case you have any other child or children, then it is better to arrange to leave them with a friend or family member rather than taking them along for the vaccination trip. This will help you give undivided attention to your child who is being vaccinated.
- If your child is of an older age, and is going to be vaccinated, then you can try making this a part of a game and play 'visiting the doctor' and while playing, you can mention how 'the needle' can protect them from becoming more sick later. Many children feel relaxed and calm when they are listening to a story, so you can use that as a ploy too.
- If you feel that your child is over anxious or too stressed about the needle, then try talking to the doctor, before visiting for the vaccination, and request him or her to use a numbing cream before injecting. This will surely make the experience much bearable and easy on the child.