Settling techniques are simple ways to calm down your baby and put him/her to sleep when they are tired. All babies are different, so there are no fixed settling techniques. However, you may want to take tips about settling techniques from friends who are experienced in parenting.
A part of the settling technique involves trying to soothe a crying baby which might not be an easy experience for some of you. Some babies adapt readily to the techniques and some can take longer to respond. But you must be persistent and continue to repeat these techniques before sleep time, as babies learn faster from repetition.
Points to consider before you start to establish the settling techniques: -
1) Ensure that your baby’s health is fine.
2) Clear off all your concerns, in case you have any with your doctor before starting the settling techniques.
3) During the period or weeks that you are trying to establish this routine, your baby falls ill, then please stop the program and restart it all over again after your baby has recovered.
4) It is important that your health is in good condition before starting the program. It will not be beneficial to you or your child if you start with a new regime at a time when either of you are unwell, as it will only cause unnecessary stress and irritation.
5) Ensure that when you start the program, you do it in a week where you have an easy schedule. It will help in devoting more time to the process of setting up the techniques as you need to repeat the techniques during each sleep time of the baby. If not given attention and sufficient time, it may take longer for your baby to adapt to the techniques.
6) If you have a nanny('aayaa') for your baby at home, teach the pattern of the settling technique to them so that they too follow the same.
7) The cot or crib in which your baby sleeps should be well-ventilated and there should be no bumpers or pillows.
8) Clear your baby's cot of any toys so that your baby has ample space to sleep.
9) Keep your partner updated about the settling techniques. In case they too decide to be involved in this process, he will be able to understand and appreciate the effort you are putting in to make the baby sleep.10) It’s important to teach another person these settling techniques too. This person will be a back-up, just in case you are not able to attend to the baby due to some unforeseen circumstances.